Due to Covid-19 and the corresponding public health emergency, OTN may be delayed in receiving mail. This includes Freedom of Information requests under FIPPA that are mailed to us. If you have submitted a Freedom of Information request, kindly send a brief email to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating that a request has been submitted and we will make arrangements to attend to it promptly. Please limit the personal information contained in the email as much as possible.
Freedom of Information Requests
Ontario Health (OTN Business Unit) (“OH”) is subject to Ontario’s Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA). FIPPA provides the public with a right to access information we hold, with limited exemptions. It protects the privacy of individuals whose personal information we hold and provides them with a right to access their own personal information.
To Make an Access Request
Download and complete the Freedom of Information Request Form. You must clearly identify the records you are seeking. Be sure to include your contact information.
- Prepare a cheque or money order for $5 payable to “Ontario Health (OTN Business Unit).” The $5 application fee is mandatory and non-refundable.
- Submit your completed Freedom of Information request form and the $5 application fee to: Ontario Health (OTN Business Unit) 438 University Avenue, Suite 200 Toronto, ON M5G 2K8 Attention: Privacy Office
OH will send you a written acknowledgement when OH receives your application.
Under FIPPA, OH may charge additional fees to process your request. These may include:
- Search fees of $7.50 per quarter hour ($30 per hour) for searching for and preparing a record for disclosure
- Photocopying charges of $0.20 per page and $10 per CD
- Other charges, if incurred, will be provided in an invoice
OH will let you know if the processing fees exceed $25. You will be asked to pay a deposit of 50% if the estimated processing cost exceeds $100. OH will let you know whether any exemptions under FIPPA might apply to the records you are requesting so that you can make an informed decision on whether or not to pay the deposit.
Right of Appeal
If your request is denied, you can appeal the decision. You may also appeal the decision to charge a fee. To submit an appeal, send the following to the Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario:
- a copy of your original request
- a copy of OH’s response
- an appeal fee of $10 for personal information requests and $25 for general information requests
To send your appeal or for more information about appeals, contact: